Monday, January 19, 2015

Just a Moment

I caught a moment in the kitchen tonight, after cleaning up dinner, about to turn off the stereo, Dixie Chicks "Godspeed" was on, and as I had my hand on the button for "off", I waited a minute, looked back at my kitchen, the main lights already off, only the light above the stove still on; the dishwasher starting to swish and sway, and I waited, listening to the raucous noises from my three boys in the tub, and I suddenly realized, everything is going to be okay.

These are the moments in another life I never would have had, much less appreciated.

And I am so, so, thankful to that moment for seizing me when it did. After a long day of yelling and fighting, pinching and scratching, taunting and tattling, my boys were all together in the tub, splashing and squealing, blissfully unaware of the madness out in the World, or even of my own simmering anxiety as of late. To them, all is right in the World, as it should be.

I don't need anything else.


"The rocket racer's all tuckered out
Superman's in pajamas on the couch
Goodnight moon, we'll find the mouse
And I love you

Godspeed, little man
Sweet dreams, little man
Oh, my love will fly to you
Each night on angels wings
Godspeed, sweet dreams

God bless mommy and match box cars
God bless dad and thanks for the stars
God hears Amen wherever we are
And I love you."


No comments:

Post a Comment