Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Mothers Of The Year

I'm going to let you all in on a little secret, so here goes: Without my Mom friends, my really close Mom friends, I would be utterly and completely LOST doing this job. I would probably be found each evening in the fetal position rocking slowly with a glazed over look in my eyes. I mean it. You women make my World go round.

Being a woman is really the first and foremost thing about me that I just am in every fiber of my being. But of course, I know I'm a human first, but really, being born with a vagina instead of a penis just completely shaped everything in my soul that makes me who I am. There are millions of ways in which being born a sex which has a global and historical disadvantage (Eve was framed) has made me, in my opinion, a stronger person. Motherhood has only highlighted and reaffirmed that.


Becoming a Mom was just...indescribable. The amazing sense of power and responsibility that came with it was both daunting and thrilling. But nothing could prepare me for the cherished bonds I formed with the other Moms I encountered. Some Moms were sanctimonious, while others were saviors. I learned throughout the last 6 years which ones to hold on to tightly and which to send on their way.





The women who stayed have been probably the best thing I gained having children. The solidarity, the understanding, the help. The shoulders to cry on, bitch to, vent. I don't care who you are, if you're a Mom, you have bad days. Like, really bad days. Days where you feel like this was the worst possible path you could have chosen, that you are doing severe damage to your kids and your World just by being their Mom. And then your friend tells you all the good things you're doing right that you couldn't see because you were so panicked about your mistakes. Or, they rally to your side when you do make an awful mistake and hold your hand as you try to fix it. In the best way, being a Mom provides you with the gift of empathy and the desire to help your fellow Moms. When I call us "Mothers of the Year", it's because we are so hilariously NOT "Mothers of the Year"....but that's what makes us all so okay with ourselves and each other. We know we're doing the best we can. And we're laughing and crying together as we try to figure this all out.



So this post is just basically a "Thank You" post. Thank You you Moms who lift me up and make me a better person. You get me. I don't have to pretend to be something I'm not around you. Fake it til you make it is a great slogan for some things, but being a genuine, flawed, still learning and trying to be better Mom, being who you really are is the only way to go. And without my fellow "Mothers of the Year", I don't think I would be able to do it. You don't care that I can be lazy, or loud, or sarcastic as hell and make light of things that are really serious and that I put all my flaws out there because, that's who I am. I swear. A lot. And you don't care because you know that's who I am.

So, there ya go. My big ole secret. I would really suck as a Mom if it weren't for you guys. The ones who take this parenting thing seriously but not so seriously that you can't see the humor in the fact that somehow we ended up being little people's Moral Compass. This gig is crazy, right? How the heck are we gonna keep up with it, them, the World? How are we possibly NOT going to screw this up? I'll tell you how. Laughing, holding hands, and crying into our bottle of wine. Love you my Sisters from other Misters.



No comments:

Post a Comment